3D-Album Home 3D-Album Home
Forums for 3D-Album community

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    What's NewWhat's New    AnnouncementAnnouncement   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Slow PCs and Jerky/Spotchy Movies - Sometimes they work anyw

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rsnow
Major General
Major General

Product: 3D-Album Commercial Suite

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the post. You are absolutely right. Experiment before giving up.

As was recently pointed out on one of Tech TV's shows, DVD is a new technology. This is especially true for the home users. Even the manufacturers haven't entirely settled on a final format. So, there will be a number of changes coming even as we struggle to find the right combination for our purposes. For some this may be a major pain. But for others it will be the fascination of trying new stuff. I gave up a while back on trying to be on the leading edge, yet, I will try to at least keep up even if I am a few paces behind.
Bill Smith
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 4:08 pm    Post subject: Slow PCs and Jerky/Spotchy Movies - Sometimes they work anyway Reply with quote

There's hope for us with slower PCs and medium video cards. You can still produce excellent movies for both PC and DVD.

First, don't be discouraged if your mpeg/movies (VAC and/or CS Capture) seem to be jerky or spotchy. You may find that your final product will look OK.

I'm using a Pentium 2 350mhz with an ATI 7xxx series video card. I do have about 320mb of memory. I just bought an inexpensive DVD burner from Frys (Emprex on sale at $79.00). I'm using ULEAD's DVD Picture Show 2 to create the final DVD.

I first created five albums with different styles, and then I mixed them together. I then used CS 3.1 to render them to DVD NTSC. When I previewed the movie, it was a mess. I then tried MPEG2 with standard DVD settings, followed by MPEG1 with 720x480x30fps, followed by MPEG2 with 600x400x30fps. When I previewed these using Windows Media Player, they all looked bad. From previous experience, I knew that I could create a MPEG1 with 600x450 for PC viewing, and that it would produce very good results.

I thought, what the heck, and burned a DVD disc. I was quite surprised to find that the DVD looked good when played on my PC using PowerDVD. I did have a minor setback when the disc wouldn't play on my DVD player, but then I remembered that DVD-RWs sometimes have that problem. I reburnt to a normal DVD-R, and that played on the DVD player. I did notice that the DVD version and the MPEG2 720x480 both had some rough spots. But the MPEG2 600x400 and the MPEG1 720x480 both looked good.

So, before you throw in the towel, go ahead and check further. You may find that you're able to produce a good final product after all.
LazyDayz Productions
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Product: 3D-Album PicturePro Standard

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill,
You mentioned jerky or spotchy. Any suggestions to take care of this challenge? Also, when a white brides dress is showing, there are major areas that are spotty.
Thanks for your help!
Bill Smith
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are several postings that talk about this. The answer really depends on what you're trying to achieve. My references were in creating a mpeg file via VAC (CS Capture mode) that I then burned to a DVD using one of the ULEAD products. I found acceptable results by going to mpeg2 600x400 and mpeg1 720x480.

I get my best results with mpeg 600x450 movie files that I burn to a CD. These are just used for straight PC viewing using the windows media player. If you put the mpeg and an autorun.inf file on the CD, it will autoplay.

To create better movies and albums, you may need to upgrade your video card. Other suggestions that Styler has made in the past include switching to different album styles. Some styles are better suited to cleaner images.
Another piece of advice that someone gave me was to turn off other programs (like virus scan, firewalls, etc.) that were runnning in background. Smaller picture images may even help. Many people use 3-5 megapixel digital cameras and the files are much bigger then they need to be. Reduce/resize them down to around 1024x768 or less. I guess the best advice that I can give you is to read all the postings dealing with these issues, and to experiment.

Good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    3D-Album Forum Index -> Tips and Tutorials All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: