3D-Album Home 3D-Album Home
Forums for 3D-Album community

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    What's NewWhat's New    AnnouncementAnnouncement   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Album mixer

View previous topic :: View next topic  
brie
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Product: Trial Version or None

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 3:08 pm    Post subject: Album mixer Reply with quote

I am making an album and have a question. After you have made several albums and you want to mix them together into a new file should you move the exe files from each album into a new file before you go into the mixer or put them into a new file from the mixed album?
Bill Smith
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Product: 3D-Album Commercial Suite

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nooooo, noooo.

Sorry, couldn't resist. I think that what you want to do is to insure that the albums were "built" into folders that have similar names (ie: myalbum1, myalbum2, myalbum3, etc.). Those folders should all be in the same directory. If you're using C:, then the folders would be found in C:\...\album\myalbum1, C:\...\album\myalbum2, etc.
brie
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Product: Trial Version or None

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In order to burn to a cd I have to move the exe files, don't I? Otherwise I will have several sound, my photos, etc.files in the mixed album.
Bill Smith
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you run the mixer, you should be able to specify which folder/directory to put the new build in. It will contain several files and folders. That folder/directory is what you would copy to the CD. The exe file is only part of what you'll need.

The mixer will need access to all of the folders for the albums being mixed together - that is why you can't just move exe files to a common location.
Frogprintz
Major General
Major General

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brie,

I'll explain this very carefully.

When you build an album and give it a name, 3D Album places all the necessary files into a YELLOW FOLDER. This folder is within a DIRECTORY.

For example: Let's say you crate an album called MYPAPA. 3D Album will create a PRIMARY FOLDER named MYPAPA. Inside this folder will be 5 SUB-FOLDERS named, Image - Class - MyPhoto - MySound - Persistent. There will also be 5 FILES named 3DAlbum.icon - Autorun - Mypapa.exe - Vaengine.dll

The PRIMARY FOLDER named MYPAPA, and all the subfolders and files within MYPAPA, were created for you automatically when you first chose to name your album MYPAPA.

Now lets say you create another 3D Album. You call this album MYMOMMA. Just like before, 3D Album builds this album for you automatically and puts all the necessary FOLDERS and FILES within a yellow FOLDER named MYMOMMA.

Let's stop here for a moment and examine where these two new folders you just created can be found.

Windows uses a system of FILES, FOLDERS, and DIRECTORIES to store information. You might liken this concept to a 3 drawer file cabinet. The cabinet by comparison, is called the ROOT DIRECTORY. Since the cabinet has 3 drawers, each drawer is called a SUB-DIRECTORY to distinguish one from the other.

Inside each drawer are YELLOW file Folders. Windows also calls these FOLDERS. Inside each folder are FILES (or documents).

All these directories, sub-directories, folders and files are expressed within windows the following way:

C:\ is the Primary Directory (Also called the Root Directory)

C:\ My Documents\ is the Sub-Directory. (This is the default sub-directory that 3D Album and many other applications use for newly created projects.

C:\Mydocuments\MyPapa is one of the New Folders that was created when you "built" your 3D Album.

C:\Mydocuments\MyMomma is the other folder created when you built another 3D Album.

C:\Mydocuments\MyPapa\ (contains all the 5 sub-folders and 5 files described earlier). Likewsise C:\Mydocuments\MyMomma.

Now with all that said, let's get back to your question.

In order to MIX ALBUMS you first have to CREATE a NEW FOLDER that will contain BOTH albums you wish to mix.

To create a NEW FOLDER, go to a Sub-Directory of your choice. Let's say C:\Mydocuments.

Once there, on the toolbar at the top of your screen, click on FILE. From the drop down menu, click on NEW. Then click on Folder. This will create a New Folder within MyDocuments. Highlight this NewFolder that you just created, and rename it. For example: PAPAMOMMA. (although you can name it anything you like).

Now you have an EMPTY "NEW FOLDER."

It is into this new folder called PAPAMOMMA, that you must put your two 3D Album FOLDERS called MyPapa and MYMomma. You can "drag and drop" these two album folders into PAPAMOMMA. Let me re-state this! Copy the FOLDERS THEMSELVES, not the contents, into this new folder.

To summarize:

1.) At this point you have created a NEW FOLDER called PAPAMOMMA, within the sub-directory called MyDocuments.

2.) You placed your two 3D Albums, called MYPAPA and MYMOMMA (which are in their own FOLDERS), into this new folder. All that is contained in this NEW FOLDER are the two Sub-Folders.

If you have followed the above steps carefully, you are now ready to go!

Start 3D album. Go to Mixer. Choose a type of Mixer style you wish to use (like sequencer). At the top of the preview window is an address bar, and to the right is a magnifying glass icon that you can use to choose your directory location. Find the directory and NEW FOLDER you created called PAPAMOMMA. Once selected, it will appear in the address bar as: C:\Mydocuments\papamomma.

Now you are ready to go! The mixer will build BOTH Mypapa and MyMomma for you into ONE album.

Once you are finished building your new mixed album, you can burn it to a CD by using your CD Creation software to COPY ALL THE FILES AND SUB-FOLDERS within C:\Mydocuments\papamomma, to the CD.

I hope this step-by-step description has helped you. I did not explain EVERYTHING, and I left out a few details. But I assume that you have SOME basic knowledge of file structure even though I used a "Dick and Jane" explanation style.

I hope you have good results with your album. My best to you.
rsnow
Major General
Major General

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, that was a very good explanation. It took some time to type all that out. Thanks.

Second, much if not most of Michael's explanation can be found in the 3D Album help files. Also, a lot of time and effort went into creating the help files. No, they are not perfect and no, they will not always solve the problem.
However, they really are a good place to start when one is experiencing some difficulty in achieving the results they want.

I know Michael does not begrudge his time and effort in trying to help other users of this great program. Yet, it is only fair that folks should put in some of their own time reading the help files. I'm probably as guilty as anyone when it comes to wanting a quick fix when I am working on a project. Still, I have learned that taking the time to read the help files not only can fix the problem I am having but will also improve my overall understanding of how the program works, thus often preventing future problems.

The lecture is over. I just did not want to risk losing the generous help of Michael and others like him who might grow tired of repeating what the help files already say.

So, thanks again Michael and from now on I'll try not to be so sanctimonious.
Frogprintz
Major General
Major General

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rsnow,

Thank you. I too wish others would invest a little of their own time learning the product, rather than relying so much on others, like you, who have also taken the time to do this.

I spend the extra time however, because I'm hopeful that as our knowledgebase grows, others will begin contributing from their new experiences. I sometimes hesitate to write so much because I don't want to dominate this forum. Hopefully this will improve very soon, because as of now, we have accumulated almost 1800 responses (articles). Granted, not all of these responses are tips and suggestions, but like a snowball rolling downhill, we are picking up more and more good ideas.

B-T-W- I don't find you santimonious at all, so no need to apologize. I'm sure others who read your posts would agree.

I remain enthusiastic. The best is yet to come.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    3D-Album Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: