3D-Album Home 3D-Album Home
Forums for 3D-Album community

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    What's NewWhat's New    AnnouncementAnnouncement   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

substituting images

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charles J. Hentz
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Product: 3D-Album DVD Suite 2.xx

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 8:17 pm    Post subject: substituting images Reply with quote

I just want to make sure I've got a handle on this using DVD version of 3D software. I need to substitute a few pictures in a build I already did. Can I just go to the folder that holds the images and make the substitution and then use the Visviva to make the DVD mpeg file? Also, if I want to change the audio files, can I just substitute them also? I know I could just do another rebuild, but I can't remember the settings I used for the different styles! I did do a search and saw this mentioned regarding the CS version but I'm pressed for time and didn't get results for the DVD verson. TIA Charlie
rsnow
Major General
Major General

Product: 3D-Album Commercial Suite

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disclaimer: I do not have 3D DVD Suite. Also, it has been quite a while since I did what you are asking about.

I have substituted pictures when using the Personal Edition. I had no problems as long as the pics were a format accepted by 3D Album.

As to the audio files, I'm not sure if they are copied like the photos. The My Sound folder may contain links to your audio files. If so, then you can't simply substitute them. I seem to remember trying this once and had to rebuild the album.

If you haven't used the same style(s) since building the album, the settings should still be there. It sounds like you are a lot like me in that you don't like to take the time to stop and write down the settings you use to achieve a particular effect. I can't say how many times I've regretted not doing that. Yet, I still don't. Embarassed
oldsoul
Colonel
Colonel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I learned early on to write down the styles, settings (per style and per album mixer), source folders for photos and music, even the order of each style in the album mixer and time/duration where applicable, etc., I use to build every style and album mixer -- I use a medium-size spiral note pad to do this and it's all I keep in the note pad. The time it takes to do this is saved over and over when I want/need to change something AND for reference when building new styles/albums. I'm posting this just to encourage y'all to do the same.
Bill Smith
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to do the same thing (with the CS version) - build an album once, and then just replace the pictures in the built album (and make some changes to the text entries) and rerun VAC to create a new movie.

But, since the last few releases, this has not worked for me. The file names are used. I even tried changing the file names, but discovered that the file names were referred to in multiple locations.

I don't know if this applies to all of the styles, or only to some.

If your version allows you to change albums that you built, then that is a fairly easy way to make changes.
Bill Smith
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Afterthought.

Going forward, I'm thinking of renaming my images to 01.jpg, 02.jpg, 03.jpg, etc. before I do my build. That way, I can easily substitute other images for future projects, and then run VAC.

But, let's keep in mind that it isn't very difficult to make the changes. Each style remembers the last settings/timings that you made to it, so all you really have to do is go back in to the Style and point to your new set of images.
Charles J. Hentz
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but if you changed the settings you can't go back. Nor is there a file in the 'build' that would tell you the settings. IMHO, there should at least be a file referencing your settings. I must say that I feel like a beta tester with this DVD version. Some styles account for transition times, some don't. Some images you must crop to certain dimensions, some you don't. And no guidelines given for any of them, just 'help' in real general terms and help in these forums. Also in some styles you play the 'build' on your pc and the timing looks right (not talking about speed, just image lenghth to music lenghth), so you use the vac to make it into a DVD only to find out that the timing is screwed up there and you've wasted a couple hours. Yeah, sure I should check a small DVD render to make sure, but some of the builds look right, some don't. PLUS, I just rendered a DVD mpeg, set the frames to 11700 so as to give me 6 minutes 30 seconds of video and it cut it short by a second, so now I have to redo it. I guess I'll have to get a video editor, burn it longer and sync everything that way. My point is, if the program were set up properly, I wouldn't need to. There, I'm done fuming.

Charlie
Frogprintz
Major General
Major General

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie,

Sorry you don't like the program. Many do. Yes, there are some complexities and a few of your points are well taken. However, this is a hybrid product, and to get the good outcome that many others are getting you will just have to go through the learning curve. Most of us feel the end result is worth this effort. Over time I feel certain this product will mature into something a little easier to use, but for now, you will have to apply a bit more time and patience. After all, there is nothing else in the marketplace similar to 3D album. While there may be many "slideshow" products that burn to CD or DVD with greater ease, these lack the special effects you get with 3D Album.

Those of us contributing to this forum have been where you are now. Our help is a result of our personal experience with the product, plus varying degrees of general computer and video prodcution skills. If we can help, we will. If you find this help inconsequential, then so be it, perhaps this is not a product for you. However, if you want our help, ask for it graciously and you are sure to get a prompt response.
Charles J. Hentz
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh no. Do not take me wrong. I REALLY appreciate the help that is on this forum. Without it, the program would be worse than 'beta'. The only reason I've put up with it so far is because of the points you make. It just seems to me that even if the program is going through changes ('evolving') there should be documentation, a 'manual' to get people through the program successfully. At the very least, the developers should let us know up front via a virtual 'manual' what the settings mean in real terms, especially since they seem to change depending on which style you're alking about. I'm NOT talking about the 'pro' CS version. I suspect it has those controls and explanations. But when you have a 'toggle' that says 'speed' a person really needs to know in actual terms how much REAL time is going to be used. I understand that the 'real' speed will vary depending on your computer graphics if you're running a show via computer, but I bought the DVD version and need to know how it syncs in 'real time' so the presentations display properly when on a DVD. I don't care how fast or slow it is on my computer.

Anyway, I did not mean to imply that I didn't value the forum. I just think the documentation for the programs, evolving as it is, is VERY lacking. I'd go to the CS version, but certainly not at $300 (I missed the $150 'special') especially with the experience I've had with the DVD version. Had that experience been better, perhaps I would, even though this is strictly 'hobby' for me.

Charlie
Styler
Major General
Major General

Product: Trial Version or None

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charles,

Styles developed in Version 2.03 are all revised in the new version. You can upgrade your software to 3D-Album PicturePro, which will give you accurate timing for video production. In the new version, styles that use intervals also count the transition time. You can use Timer Synchronization feature to synchronize the animation with real-time. There is better manual in both printed and dynamic forms.
Charles J. Hentz
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 9:32 pm    Post subject: upgrade Reply with quote

That's all fine and good, but I don't appreciate being a 'beta tester' for the DVD version (and paying for that 'privalege'!) and then being told that to get a 'fixed' version I'll have to fork over $40 to 'upgrade' ! (and I'd probably find some more 'annoyances' with that version too!) No. I think I'll make do with what I have for now. I like what it is capable of and wish my version worked 'properly'; BUT I would NOT have purchased the 'new improved' DVD version had it been $40 more to begin with, so why would I do it now?! Anything less than a free upgrade I think is a slap in the face to those of us who bought the original version and then worked with and shared our frustrations with the developers. Interesting that they gave it a whole new name; perhaps the 'new' program is finally fully out of beta-testing. Wink

Charlie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    3D-Album Forum Index -> Assistance All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: