3D-Album Home 3D-Album Home
Forums for 3D-Album community

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    What's NewWhat's New    AnnouncementAnnouncement   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Virtual Folder

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nan
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Product: 3D-Album Commercial Suite

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 3:16 pm    Post subject: Virtual Folder Reply with quote

As I explored the CS more, I get more excited about the features I discovered. The Virtual folder is a very useful feature that provides a solution that I have been looking for but did not find in other photo organizers that I own. I have many stock images on CDs. Using CS, I can create thumbnail indice and annotations without physically copying the image to hard disk.

I have a question about the Virtual Folder. If I copied a photo into one or more virtual folders, and changed the photo annotation in one virtual folder, does this change apply to all links to the photo, or just to the link in the current virtual folder? I did some experiements, but the result seems different.
Organizer
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If I copied a photo into one or more virtual folders, and changed the photo annotation in one virtual folder, does this change apply to all links to the photo, or just to the link in the current virtual folder?

The annotations of all the links should be changed.

Quote:
I did some experiements, but the result seems different.

Please give us more information about what happened.

Thanks
Styler
Major General
Major General

Product: Trial Version or None

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A file in a virtual folder is just a link to the file in its actual folder. Annotation with file in the virtual folder should be identical to the annotation with its actual file. Therefore, if you changed the annotation of one link, the annotation to its actual file and all related links should also be changed.

But what if the actual file is in a read-only device (e.g. CD-ROM)? If you change the annotation of a virtual link, the annotation with its actual file cannot be changed. In this case, you need to use the virtual folder for your album in order to get the file annotation presented.
rsnow
Major General
Major General

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nan

You say you are using the CS and you have stock images on CD. Are those stock images licensed for commercial use? If so, would you share where you got them and how much the commercial license costs?

The reason I'm asking is because my son gave me a large collection of such images he purchased off the shelf and when I read the license agreement it said they were not to be used for commercial reasons. So now I have large number of beautiful photos that I can't use, except for my own personal albums.
nan
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have several hundreds of Corel Super Ten CDs in PCD format. The license allows uses to modify, publish and distribute for any purpose except that you cannot distribute or sell the images as another stock library or similar to compete with this product.
rsnow
Major General
Major General

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like a great collection. When I first started, I chose Corel over Photoshop because it seemed much easier to use. At that time I couldn't afford to buy their photo cds so I've just been trying to along with what I can find and what pics I take myself.

I wonder if there would be any interest in establishing photo sharing on the 3D Album web site? Something like where registered CS users could submit photos they are willing to let other CS owners use. It would be open only to CS people. I think that would give all of us a chance to build our libraries without a lot additonal expense and no worry about violating copyrights or licenses.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    3D-Album Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: