3D-Album Home 3D-Album Home
Forums for 3D-Album community

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    What's NewWhat's New    AnnouncementAnnouncement   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Alternate way to produce videos

View previous topic :: View next topic  
coolpop22
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Product: 3D-Album Commercial Suite

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:57 pm    Post subject: Alternate way to produce videos Reply with quote

I know 3D Album has many bells and whistles and it is admirable that the engineers have tried to make it a complete package. But as I have experienced and many have posted here, sometimes those bells and whistles play a less than perfect tune. Whether because of operator error, borderline hardware or real glitches, producing a video can sometimes be frustrating. I offer a few ideas here just to keep those distraught users from giving up completely and still reap the cool effects of 3DA. Here is a basic procedure I used on my last Christmas album that may give you some alternatives to giving up:

I first created each album as it's own entity. By that I mean after choosing the style and adding pics, I captured each album as a separate video file - usually using DVD NTSC default settings. I did not use the mixer at all.

I do not add music at all in 3DA. I've not tried it much but I've read here about many problems, and it's easier for me to add it later.

I try to be careful about placement, order and size of pics to avoid the cropping problems - especially the trimming that occurs when played on TV.

I've also read many posts about first and last pictures of an album not appearing soon enough or getting cut off at the end. Here is another advantage of creating individual video files: I sometimes add an additional pic to the beginning or end of the list. You can experiment with very small pics or transparent blank ones to simply add a placeholder which extends the video. This avoids the chopping off where you don't want it and also gives you the option to crop it later in a video editor at just the right point.

Now I use a video editor (I prefer Ulead VideoStudio8) to combine all the individual clips. I know this is an investment in another program but like I said this is an alternative. I take all the album clips from 3DA plus other movie clips I want to use (these can be avi, mpg, wmv, mov, etc) and combine them on the timeline. These movie clips are as captured and not generated by 3DA. I arrange them in the order I want and can trim the individual clips as mentioned earlier if needed.

Now for sound. Once the whole series of videos is combined (you can preview individual clips or the entire project), then I add music to the music track. (You can also add voice and another video overlay but I haven't played with these features.) Some of the neat things about adding sound here is that you can use only portions of songs, fade in and out, adjust volume levels of each clip, leave the music out if a movie clip has sound of its own, and match the music to the video highlights if you want.

Another cool feature is the ability to adjust the playback speed of the whole video combinaton. Let's say the video combnation has turned out to be 5 minute and 40 sec, but your perfect combination of audio clips turns out to be 6 minutes. Trying to cut anything out of the audio ruins the effect. The solution can be simply slowing the speed of the video by about 6% will match it perfectly to the audio usually without any perceptible change.

Of course you can save your project along the way so you don't lose changes. And once you are satisfied with the result, you can use the Share tab to generate any number of final results. You can save it to your hard drive as wmv, rm, mpg1, mpg2, VCD, SVCD, DV, or DVD. Sometimes this is preferable so you can preview it before actual burning.
Or you can burn it directly in VCD, SVCD, or DVD format.

You may be more familiar with other video editing software but I have found VS8 to be very intuitive and easy. This is not meant to criticize 3DA in any way - I love the program - but I wanted to give other users some ideas on how they might work around some of their problems. There are many ways to get results.
Wink Wink
BorisK
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Product: 3D-Album DVD Suite 2.xx

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coolpop said -

Another cool feature is the ability to adjust the playback speed of the whole video combinaton. Let's say the video combnation has turned out to be 5 minute and 40 sec, but your perfect combination of audio clips turns out to be 6 minutes. Trying to cut anything out of the audio ruins the effect. The solution can be simply slowing the speed of the video by about 6% will match it perfectly to the audio usually without any perceptible change.

I do this trick to. I have Ulead video and do this all the time. I think this is one of the best tricks around for fixing and matching music to the video. It should be made into a stickey because it is such a useful thing. You can also make your video a bit longer just not shorter. Long or short it works without to much noticable change. I have even sortened some music by a full minute and it worked.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    3D-Album Forum Index -> Tips and Tutorials All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: