3D-Album Home 3D-Album Home
Forums for 3D-Album community

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    What's NewWhat's New    AnnouncementAnnouncement   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

avi/mpeg quality

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Huan Nguyen
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Product: 3D-Album DVD Suite 2.xx

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 11:43 am    Post subject: avi/mpeg quality Reply with quote

Just bought the DVD Suite. I built an sample album with 10 pictures. I used VAC 3.01 to make AVI & MPEG2 files using different codec including Microsoft, Indeo, ...Radius, DV codec. I then brought them into Pinnacle Studio 8 to edit and transferred the movie to my Sony Digital 8. The quality of the movies were not of digital quality. I can see the square pixels that the edge of the subject as well as within the subject and the fine details like eyelids, the white part of the eyes, the skin textures are of vhs quality. Any suggestion?
Frogprintz
Major General
Major General

Product: 3D-Album Commercial Suite

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand your disappointment in not getting digital quality. This no doubt comes from the fact that you have to reduce your photo sizes down to 500 KB or less to get a problem free rendering. At this size, your pictures become low resolution.

However, when you play your video back on a Standard resolution TV, this shouldn't be a big problem. The TV's scan line resolution should display just fine. If you use a high definition, plasma, or LCD TV for playback, it will not look like digital quality, because it is not. Instead, as you have experienced, it will be VHS quality. The same is true if you playback only on your camcorders screen, it will not give digital quality. Digital quality is high resolution. VHS quality can be low resolution, because it is played back on analog devices like your Standard TV.

Hope this info helps.
WRANGLER95
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no rendering problems, and I'm reducing my pictures to 500kb or below. Most pictures I am working with are jpegs in the 3.5 to 4.5 mb file size range. Also, keep in mind, you are compressing your files multiple times - in other words - you are compressing files that have already been compressed -and the more you do this, of course the more the quality will suffer. Start with uncompressed. Also, Pinnacle Studio 8 is problematic and not known for good encoding quality. Switch to a consumer program with a better encoder.
Frogprintz
Major General
Major General

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wrangler95,

I am pleasantly surprised by your answer, but would like confirmation. I recall just after I purchased PE, that I had serious rendering problems. Tech support advised me that I should keep all photos around 512 KB or less. After doing this, I had no more rendering problems, but my quality degraded substantially. This was when PE first came out, and I have stuck to this practice ever since.

It could be that VAC 3.01 changed this. I don't know. Maybe CS also allows for higher resolution. It would be good if Styler or, one of the other moderators comments on this. I also thought I had seen somewhere else among these posts, the 512 KB recommendation. Since Huan's DVD Suite is based on PE, I assumed this applied as well.

I will try using larger files with PE and report back my results.

I use Ulead Video 7 and Adobe Premeire for my video editors. Both work great. The Video 7 for quick productions, Premeire for more advanced work.

UPDATE: I found a post by styler that clarifies this issue. It would be great if we got more information on this. I assume it applies to QUALITY as well.

Styler wrote:
Two reasons if a picture does not show from CD:

1. The picture is too large to load quicly from the CD in order to catch up the animation speed.

2. The picture is saved in progressive mode which will significantly slow down the CD reading speed.

Solution:

1. Reduce the picture size to about 1024x768 pixels (less than 1M pixels).
(The CS version can load large JPEGs from the CD in an effient way.)

2. Use an image editor to "save as" the image to a non-progressive mode.
Huan Nguyen
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks you for your replies. I did not reduce my picture sizes. I had no problem building the files with VAC 3.01. The quality of the files on my LCD computer screen are of digital quality. I tried to make uncompress avi with VAC but it will not open with Studio Pinnacle 8 (unsupportive format). Which program are you using to edit, render, & output your work to DVD?
rsnow
Major General
Major General

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aren't computers wonderful! I say this because just this morning I used VAC to create an avi file (not compressed) and put into Studio 8. Of course this was not a large file and the picture sizes were small and not intended for TV but the quality was pretty good. The only problem I encountered was on my first try the sound I included when building the file in CS was choppy. I then built the file without sound and added the sound in Studio 8. It is very frustrating to try to find the right combination of hardware and software to get things to work right. But, then, I guess it is equally frustrating for those who write the programs.
Styler
Major General
Major General

Product: Trial Version or None

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Making a DVD needs a little bit experiment because of lots of conditions with involved hardware and software. Here are my findings as well as suggestions made by other forum users:

1. If you use Roxio DVD Builder, please enable the High Quality Option in the VAC3.0x. If you choose the High Performance Option, the DVD created by the Roxio DVD Builder will show blocks.

2. Nero DVD burning may cause the graphic animation stop in the middle of the show but the music continues. Their patch will help to solve this problem in a short movie, but it may still happen sometimes in a lengthy movie.

3. If you use Ulead VideoStudio 6 to edit the movie created by the VAC, do not add titles. Otherwise, the output the VideoStudio 6 may casue the failure in many DVD burning software. I tried Roxio, Nero, and MyDVD, none of them succeed.

4. Avoid mixing over 2 sound tracks in the VAC.

5. Do not use WMV or RealMedia as video input. Instead, use AVI or MPEG.

6. Try to make a short sample. Compare the quality before and after you use any video editing software. Find a satisfactory solution before you do the entire production. In my experience, using the VAC's default DVD setting to create a mpeg, then use a video editing software like Pinnacle Studio, Roxio VideoWave, or Ulead VideoStudio, the result should be satisfactory. If you see the graphic quality reduced 70% - 80% after editing, there might be something wrong with your video import settings in the software.

7. For VAC 3.0 or higher version, you are not necessary to reduce the size of the photo, especailly for non-real-time video capture. It may help a little bit in quality if you reduce the photo size to 1024 for DV, or 512 for DVD. But I can hardly tell the difference.

8. If your graphic card support full scene antialiasing, enable it to 4x or maximum. This will create smooth 3D graphics which will look much better. But if you use styles jsut for photos (e.g. fading, dispatch), you may disable the full scene antialiasing for a sharper image.

9. Becuase VAC creates uncompressed AVI in type 2 that support larger files, Pinnacle Studio 8 may not read AVI in type 2. You need to download a free avi file type converter from ULead's website and convert the file to the AVI type 1.
hoangthi
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Product: 3D-Album Home Edition 2.xx

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question: Can anyone tell me which software will give us best result for DVD rendering and burning? I have the good quality mpeg2 file made from 3D -> VAC converter. But after I made the DVD disk using either Ulead Video 7 or DVD Movie Factory or DVD workshop, the graphic quality reduced 70% - 80% from mpeg file when viewing in PC and DVD player.
Maybe we need good guideline/turorials from 3D-Album website.
Thanks
Danny
3D-Album PE version
Huan Nguyen
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:27 am    Post subject: ulead avi converter Reply with quote

Can anyone provide the exact link to the ulead avi II to avi I converter. I can't find it at ulead's website. Thanks, Huan
Organizer
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the link: http://www.ulead.com/download/dvconverter/download.htm.
Huan Nguyen
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:01 pm    Post subject: ulead avi converter Reply with quote

Thanks for the link. I downloaded the program and tried to convert my uncompressed AVI file of 4gb using the ulead program and got the message 'Unable to convet this file because it is not DV type 1 file' Am I missing something? Huan
rsnow
Major General
Major General

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ulead converter is supposed to convert 1 to 2. If your file is already a 2 the converter won't be of any help.

I originally had problems with some of the VAC files in Studio 8 but after upgrading VAC to 3.01, the files worked OK.
Huan Nguyen
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rsnow,
1. Are AVI files made w/ VAC 3.0 type 1 or 2?
2. How did you get uncompressed AVI file made by VAC that are greater than 2gb to be used by Pinnnacle Studio 8?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    3D-Album Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: