3D-Album Home 3D-Album Home
Forums for 3D-Album community

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    What's NewWhat's New    AnnouncementAnnouncement   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Poor Picture Quality

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tgreen
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Product: 3D-Album PE (Personal Edition) 2.xx

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 11:57 pm    Post subject: Poor Picture Quality Reply with quote

I have a Canon G2 and the picture quality is excellent. I have viewed my pictures with numerous software packages and the quality of the pictures is great. All the pictures are shot in the highest resolution.

With the 3D-Album software, the picture is not displayed in true color. I can go to any other viewer I have and the same pictures are excellent Any ideas of what is wrong?
Styler
Major General
Major General

Product: Trial Version or None

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem of image quality is related to your video card settings. Becuase 3D-Album uses 3D graphics, the image quality will be affected by the 3D texture settings in your video card (please note, this setting has no effect on any 2D image viewer.)

To correct your video card setting, first make sure you have selected the True Color for your display settings. click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel. Double-click Display. On the Settings tab, open Colors droplist and select True Color(32 bit) mode. Please note that a few low-end or very old video card does not support True Color. To display your photo colors correctly, 3D-Album requires 24 or 32 bit color depth.

Also, check at the bottom of the 3D-Album (PE2.03) window, there are number of round buttons in different sizes to control the image quality. Did you accidently selected the smallest button (the lowest quality) button?

After you have set the desktop's color depth to True Color, you need to check your video card settings. Some computer manufacturers may not have the proper video card setting. You need to correct this based on what video card you have.

If you have an ATI's Radeon 7500~8500 card, make sure that the option Enable texture compression is disabled. To do this, click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel. Double-click Display. On the Settings tab, click Advanced, then the OpenGL tab. Toggle off the Enable texture compression button.

If you have an ATI's Radeon 9000/9700 card, make sure that the option Texture quality is set to the highest. To do this, click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel. Double-click Display. On the Settings tab, click Advanced, then the OpenGL tab. Set the Texture quality (or preference) slide to the rightmost. Or if you have the Main Settings at the top, move the slide the rightmost for quality.

If you have an nVidia GeForce card, make sure the default color depth for texture is set to 32 bit. To do this, click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel. Double-click Display. On the Settings tab, click Advanced, then the GeForce tab. At the left of the panel, a pop up window will show a list of settings in a tree structure. Under the Performance and Quality entry, there should be an OpenGL Settings entry. If you do not see the OpenGL entry, skip this paragraph and read the next paragraph. Click the OpenGL Settings entry, in the panel, open Default Color Depth (for textures)droplist and select Always use 32bpp mode.

If you do not see the OpenGL entry in the GeForce settings panel, chances are that you happened to get an nVidia's driver released at the beginning of 2003, which has a bug to display the OpenGL settings. nVidia has not provided a solution to fix this bug yet. To solve this problem, you need to download a small utility software called RivaTunner from

http://www.guru3d.com/rivatuner/

or, from

http://www.3dnews.ru/files/pub/tweakers/video_tools/RivaTuner20RC143NY.zip

or

http://www.3dcenter.de/downloads/rivatuner.php

The utility will let you set many OpenGL options but what you want to do is just to change the OpenGL color depth. To do this, run the utility. In the Main tab and the Drvier Settings box, click the drop button at the right of the Customize... text. A toolbar will popup, showing a number of icons. Click the third icon, which is the OpenGL logo. This will show a set of tabbed frames. Click the Rendering quality tab. In the Texture quality setting box, set the Default bit depth for textures to 32 bits perpixel.

If you still cannot get the quality you want, send a screenshot to support@3d-album.com, then we can tell you exactly how it can be fixed.

[img][/img]

Last edited by Styler on Sat Jan 01, 2005 9:44 am; edited 3 times in total
oldsoul
Colonel
Colonel

Product: 3D-Album Commercial Suite

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I make a 3D-Album, put it on CD and give it to someone to play on his/her computer, does that person also have to have one of the video cards mentioned? What about those albums that are converted to DVD -- I suppose DVD players all have high quality resolution?
Styler
Major General
Major General

Product: Trial Version or None

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The video card mentioned above are the most popular ones. Any video card that support OpenGL should be okay. OpenGL has become a standard for all video cards for several years. The problem with the inproper video card setting happens only in a few computers. In most cases, your computer manufacturer should get this setting right.

If you convert the album into DVD or any video file, the 3D support is no longer necessary because the video does not use any 3D graphics.
petsn8k
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Product: 3D-Album PicturePro Standard

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:57 am    Post subject: Graphics problem solved - Why isn't Platinum upgrade available through download? Reply with quote

I am so glad this forum is available. I have been able find the answer to the majority of the problems I have experienced while trying to make my first extremely large 3D presentation!

I created my presentation on my PC and then had to transfer it to my laptop. The photos looked terrible. I was sure it had something to do with my graphics card, but I wasn't sure what. I started searching throught the forum and found Styler's post. It was exactly what I needed!

I have to show this presentation today and the last thing I have to iron out is the timing. I wish I would have researched the Platinum vs. Standard before I made the Standard purchase. I could have really used the timline feature! I have spent hours trying to get my music timed with my styles (not every style has its own music). Unfortunately, I am up against crunch time now and do not have time to wait for the upgrade to come in the mail. Why isn't the upgrade available for download from the Web?
miniman
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have noticed poor quality in the pictures in 3D Album, and nothing corrects it. I've read what Styler said about changing settings in my video card, and I don't have the options with my video card that he mentioned. I've tried using 3d Album on several computers, some that don't have 3D cards and they all look the same. The pictures look like GIFs....very poor.
I'm using a high end system with tons of resources and nothing I do improves the quality of the pictures. If it helps, I'm running a 3.06 GHZ Pentium 4, with 1.5 GB of RDRAM, two hard drives totalling 320 GB, an ATI Radeon Pro 9700 video card with 128 MB of RAM. The monitor is a 21 inch Trinitron. I've read what Styler said about making sure the Pro 9700 video card is set to the highest texture quality, but my display settings don't have that option. When I click on the Advanced tab, I have no OpenGL tab. I also don't have a Main Settings tab. I do have the Accelerator slider set to maximum, but this is under the Troubleshoot tab. I also have the 3d Album slider set to the highest quality setting.
Since the quality is so poor, I have been using Firehand Lightning to make slideshows, and the quality is top notch. I'd rather use 3D Album since I've paid for it, but if that's the best quality I can get from it, I'll have to stick with Lightning.
Oh, I checked the ATI website and found that they have some type of driver called a Catalyst, and they only recommend using it if you're having trouble with your existing driver. I'm not having trouble with my existing driver so I'm not interested in installing it.....I shouldn't have to, 3D Album should work with this driver. I'm using the original 3D Album software...version 2.03. I also have 3D Album Pro, but that looks worst than this version so I uninstalled it and decided to just use this older version since it looks a little better. I doubt that I'll ever upgrade to any other version of 3D Album....I don't see any point to it. Why do the pictures look like GIFs?
nan
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do have trouble with your existing driver. The OpenGL setting tab is a standard to every ATI Radeon card because it supports OpenGL. I have both 9700 and 9800 and they all have the OpenGL tab. Upgrade you video card driver will solve your problem. I do not know Catalyst. You may not need it, but just upgrade the driver for Radeon.

You may also try RivaTunner. It works for ATI card also.
miniman
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nan! What I meant was that if I go to the ATI website and search for a driver for the 9700 card, they only have something called Catalyst, which is a do-all driver for numerous cards, and they only recommend using it if you are having problems with your existing card. I'm only having problems with 3D Album, nothing else, so I don't want to install a do-all driver that might screwup everything else.
What I alluded to before was that I had these problems with my old computer, as well as this computer. When I bought this computer, it was the top of the line, that had the latest and greatest of everything, including the 9700 card with the latest drivers, so 3D Album should have run okay back then before there were any newer drivers, but it didn't. How would I have gotten 3D Album to run then, if these newer drivers weren't available then? What did you need to do back then, using those older drivers?
fortemac
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many computers have been sitting on the shelf for months in stores. New drivers are available before someone purchases one of them. Even if you had a computer especially built for you (like at Gateway, Dell, etc.) the drivers are not always current. They use what they have first. I got a new computer last year and even Windows XP needed to be updated, but they told me that at the place I purchased it--so I knew to expect it. After having it a year, it's not the lastest and greatest either as technology advances are rapid, but I've added a considerable amount of components to make it a pretty fine machine. I imagine it's like building a new house. You'll always find something that you wish you would have done differently.
Cyndy
miniman
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there Cyndy! I guess what I find hard to understand is that the software was two years old when I installed it on a new computer, and whether or not the ATI drivers were the latest when I bought the computer, the drivers were the latest when this ATI card first came out, which was at least a year after the 3D-Album software came out.
What I'm being told here is this......four years ago I went out and bought 3D-Album, then two years passes by, then I go out and buy the newly released ATI Pro 9700 card with the latest drivers, since it's only been out for a week, and install this card into a computer. I then load 3D-Album, which I've had sitting on a shelf for two years. When I try to use 3D-Album, it won't work properly because I have to wait two more years in order to get a new driver for my brand new video card. Does that sound logical to anyone? There's no reason why I should need to install anything to get it to work properly.....it should have worked properly four years ago when I bought it, so why do I need a driver that's current to get a four year old program to work?
All I'm trying to find out is if I installed the card two years ago with the most current driver available at that time (which is what I now have), what would I need to have done then to get the software to work, since there weren't any newer drivers back then?
As I mentioned in an earlier post, I have 3D-Album Pro, which is the newer version, but instead of using that one, I'm using the older 3D-Album version 2.03.
The reason I'm harping on this is because to install the latest driver from ATI, I need to install Microsoft NET framework, whatever that is. In order to install the NET framework, I need to install XP Service Pack 2, which will never happen. Everyone I know of who has installed SP2 has completely screwup up their computer. Most of them have never gotten their systems back up and running properly, so I avoid SP2 like the plague. I have enough firewalls, virus protection, ad blockers, spyware removal tools, etc. to keep my system safe, so I don't need any XP updates, especially after I installed one and it slowed my computer down to a crawl.(fortunately I figured out which update it was an uninstalled it....now my system is running like it should)
Anyway, I do appreciate the comments from everyone, and I'm sorry if I'm being difficult about this, but this software should work with my existing drivers.
Man Pham
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 5:55 pm    Post subject: Poor quality in AVI file Reply with quote

I've been using my computer and the video card comes with the Matrox system and I have not had problem with poor quality. I bought the 3D-album CS and I did update new version 3.16 I captured it in AVI file and import to Matrox but the quality is terrible. What kind of file should I use ? how large is the file in order to have good quality video. I Captured at 100% movie quality and frame is 720x480 frame rate at 29.97. Please help to make the quality better. Thanks
nan
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matrox graphic card is good for 2D images and video productions. But its 3D support is poor, especially, it has a problem to support true color in its 3D rendering engine. It does support true color for all its 2D functions, you will have no problem with software like photoshop and premier, which do not touch its real-time 3D functions. But when it comes 3D, it can only support applications that do not have high color demanding, e.g. games with limited color space. For color rich applications such as 3D photo album software, it may generate blochy images with low image quality, because the number of the colors is limited by the hardware.

The Matrox graphic card cannot compete with other graphic cards from ATI and nVidia in the 3D area. Its market is now limited only to 2D applications.

I know that some Matrox card for video production is very expensive, because it has added lots of special features for video production. My suggestion is to use a different computer with ATI Radeon 9800 to render the 3D-Album video. You do not need to buy the All-In-Wonder edition, which is more expensive. Then import your video into your Matrix machine for video production. For more information about the quality issue, see:

http://www.3d-album.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=883

As reply to miniman, your ATI Radoen should support True Color. You know, the makers of the graphic card update their dirvers frequently. They cannot guarantee each update problem-free. You may have a problematic driver. What is the version number of your driver?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    3D-Album Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: